UPPAbaby 2013 G-Luxe Stroller

UPPAbaby 2013 G-Luxe Stroller, Jake BlackN.B.: don't forget to read the update in the end of this review!

This umbrella stroller is only 11 lbs (on their website, Uppababy talks about a true weight (including canopy, wheels and basket) of 13.4 lbs), which makes it one of the lightest reclining umbrella strollers on the market. I just bought this stroller in a store and was able to compare it to its 2012 version.

The main differences between the 2013 and the 2012 version are:

The 2013 has an easier recline (the 2012 version has a drawstring, the 2013 has a very handy little handle, it works so well!);

The 2013 has two changes in color: they added the magenta color (before, only the Uppababy G lite was available in this color), and the black one is all black now instead of a combination of white and black. Plus, the black one's frame is black as well, whereas the 2012 model has an aluminum colored frame;

The 2013 has an easier fold;

The 2013 has an easier fold of the seat pad end (you can fold it down, straight or even a little bit up, which makes it great for smaller toddlers as well);

The 2013 harness lock looks a bit nicer.

What I like about this stroller is:

The design and material: it looks modern and the seat cover is removable and washable;

Its light weight;

Its easy fold: you lift a little hook on both sides of the stroller while pushing a little button, and voila, you can push it forward and it automatically locks. You can even make it stand while folded and it will not fall.

The canopy is very large compared to other lightweight umbrella strollers. It has a little extra fold-out addition that has a silver color;

The handles are high, so it is great for average height and taller parents;

The basket is easily accessible and large for an umbrella stroller;

The wheels have suspension, so it makes the ride comfortable for my daughter;

Easy steering;

5-Point harness that my daughter cannot unlock without my help;

The seat pad is thick and comfortable for our daughter. Compared to other strollers in the store, this was by far the most comfortable;

It has a shoulder strap so you can easily carry it.

What I like less about the stroller is:

The canopy's extension comes relatively close to my toddler's face when folded out. No major issue, though, as the benefits of a large canopy far outweigh this minor negative issue;

It does not have a full recline, so this is only good for babies 6 months and older. However, it does have a pretty good recline for older babies to sleep;

Sometimes the suspension of one of the front wheels appears to go "crazy": it keeps on bouncing the wheel up and down a little, for a couple of seconds. Nothing major, and our toddler does not seem to notice (I do, though!), but I had expected this to be a perfect light weight umbrella stroller because of its price;

No peek-a-boo window in the canopy;

The seat is not very deep. That is, compared to our Baby Jogger City Mini. Of course you cannot really compare these two strollers as this one is a light weight umbrella stroller and the Baby Jogger is a full-size lightweight stroller, but I do wonder till what age our toddler will be able to really sit well on this seat;

Although my daughter likes this stroller, she prefers our Baby Jogger City Mini. I think that is because it is sturdier, she can climb into it, and it has more space for her, both in width and in depth. We bought this Uppababy, however, for its ease of use in public transport and at the airport: the City Mini is just not very practical in these situations because it is less compact when folded, and heavier;

Apart from a cup holder, it does not come with any accessories like a rain cover. For the price of $219 for a lightweight umbrella stroller (or $229, as we have the black "special edition" version), Uppababy is not very generous to its customers here.

As the negative issues above are much less important to me than the positive ones, I am very pleased with this stroller.

I just bought the stroller today, so I cannot say anything yet about its durability. I will update this review as soon as I can say more about that.

UPDATE (April 7, 2013):

We have used this stroller for a few months now, including some intensive use during our trip to Europe (public transport, parks, etc.).

I still like this stroller for the reasons above. The issue with the wheels that I mentioned, and that others are also talking about, seems to have disappeared. I got the impression that it occurred when I would lean a bit more on it while pushing. Maybe subconsciously I adjusted this while using this stroller more. Also, this stroller was great for use in public transport, which we did in Europe: it folds easily, does not take a lot of space, and is not heavy. And the canopy extension is not only useful during Summer, our toddler wanted it extended as protection against the wind and the cold in the Winter.

However, I did take two stars off my initial review: it is great that this stroller is so lightweight, but it makes it feel a bit flimsy. Also, why didn't Uppababy make the brake system a manual one, or at least adjust this one so when you take it up or down a stairs or curb (with, but also without a child in it!), the breaks don't hit the stairs/curb? Going off a curb in order to cross the street should not be difficult to do with a stroller, should it? My major complaint, however, is the size of the seat: my 2 year old always tells me "sit better" when she goes into it or when I put her in it. By that, she means that she really has to do her best to make herself comfortable in the stroller. Apart from the seat not being very wide, it is not deep enough. As the measurements of the depth of the seat are similar to many other umbrella strollers, there must be something in the construction of this one that makes it feel much less deep than other ones (maybe the seat material (very slippery) and the angle of the seat?). Why make it possible to carry a child till 50 lbs in it, if a child that weight will have outgrown the stroller years earlier? Why not make the seat deeper or construct the stroller in such a way that it feels deeper than it is? Even 30 dollar strollers are often practically deeper than this one! For our toddler, I don't think she'll be able to sit in this past the age of 2.5....

I wish I had just purchased this from the beginning. I have a graco travel system which is great, but HEAVY and takes up a lot of room. I'm a first time mom and I didn't know what to buy/register for. Reasons I love the UppaBaby 2013 G-Lux stroller:

PROS

(1) It travel/transport friendlylight weight, has a travel strap, and can stand upright by it's self. (think airport, rainy day, bus stop, hurricane evacuation/anytime, small living spaces, or when your kid just wants you to hold him and you have to hold and push himnope just collapse and carry with the strap!)

(2) I love motherhood, I hate "assembly required". To get this baby up and rolling, all I had to do was securely attached to wheels by sliding them on and slide on the umbrella canopy. No tools needed.

(3) The seat reclines far enough for comfortable naps

(4) High weight max

(5) leg rest adjustable

CONS

(1) Opening (sort of..) to open this stroller you have to step on a special pedal with your right foot. The pedal is kind of high..if you're a parent or caretaker with knee, hip, or balance issues this might be a significant problem. Otherwise, its simple and easy to open.

(2) The storage area is limitedthis may or may not bother you. I'm okay with it. Just prior to buying it I started lightening my travel load. I keep a large fully stocked diaper bag in my car and keep a small purse/diaper bag with 1-2 bottles, 3-4 diapers and supplies, and a toy which easily fits in this stroller. Tip: I purchased a few wrist rattles. They fasten on to your kid with velcro. I fasten these to the stroller itself that way I never forget to pack a toy and its something my kid can't drop. I also keep a light cotton blanket in the storage area at all times (in case its cooler than I realized or there is too much sun on my kids legs).

Buy UPPAbaby 2013 G-Luxe Stroller Now

APRIL 7, 2013: The suspension on the front wheels becomes unstable and wobbles at any speed above slow. I've determined the issue is with the actual wheel assembly which is detachable. It appears the issue is because the way UB attempted to build the suspension into the wheel axle housing...there's a reason nobody else does this. I have found a modification that may be helpful. By inserting a firm foam into suspension channel on both sides of the axle you can effectively reduce the wobble. The wobble will also go away for children over approx ~25lbs. I got this stroller yesterday (Saturday) and will be calling UB first thing on Monday morning. Its unacceptable, the reviews are coming in, and customers are complaining. They need to replace the front wheel system and face the facts.

But hey, everything else about the stroller is top notch (weight, folding, etc.).

UPDATE APRIL 8, 2013: UB has identified an issues with the front wheels on a certain batch of strollers shipped in early 2013. They are offering a free replacement for the wheels and will overnight them to you for free. I talked to them this morning and a new set will be here tomorrow.

Read Best Reviews of UPPAbaby 2013 G-Luxe Stroller Here

I bought this stroller with a trip to London next year in mind, but I bought it early to get use out of it before the trip. So, I can't speak yet how it will be on planes, etc., but just from walking around with it every day with my 14 month old daughter for the last month, here is my list of pros/cons:

PROS:

the sunshade is great by umbrella stroller standards. The sun is always off her face (thought not usually the rest of her, depending on the angle).

The freestanding while folded feature is nice. I wouldn't say it's particularly sturdy while standing; I wouldn't let my kid hang onto it or anything, but it's handy in a restaurant.

The carrying strap. I love that I can just sling it over my shoulder (although the wheels stick out really far, so you have to be super careful you're not slinging it into anyone or thing, because it would do some damage).

Pretty smooth ride.

It's relatively light for all the features.

The front clasp takes some practice to get it quickly put together (my mom still gets annoyed with it), but I'm listing it as a pro because my kid won't be able to get it apart herself anytime soon.

It reclines really far, and is easy to recline. In theory she should be able to nap in it. Whether that will actually happen is another matter. It reclines back into a fabric backing, so she seems protected and cozy.

The seat material seems really comfy.

The parent cupholder actually seems pretty sturdy for an umbrella stroller. In fact, it seems more sturdy than the one on my big Britax.

CONS:

No window in the top or back of the shade to see her.

My daughter always seems a bit slouched in this stroller, like the seat isn't deep enough. And it's not because she's too big or anything like that, she's a fairly tall and thin kid.

Maybe I haven't had the stroller long enough for it to loosen up a bit, but it is seriously frustrating to get it folded up. Unfolding is fine, but I've literally wrestled with it before for 20 minutes trying to get it folded down. There's a scene in that show Up All Night where Christina Applegate's character and another mom beat a stroller to heck because they can't get it folded up. I never understood that scene until I got this stroller (and this kid has, between all grandparents' houses, jogging, full size, etc. strollers, a total of 5 strollers). But, on a totally unrelated note, the stroller is good quality and can take a bit of a beating.

It doesn't include any kind of parent console. I added a $10 one so it wasn't a big deal, but it would've been nicer if one was included.

Overall, I'm not unhappy with the stroller (unless you asked me when I'm late for something and having a hard time getting the stroller folded up. If you asked me then, I'd tell you the devil invented it to ruin my life. But I tend to get a bit hyperbolic when I'm stressed out, so you'd probably just write me off as a crazy person anyway). I'm honestly not sure if I'd buy it again over the MacLaren Techno, which was the other stroller we were looking at (we had a coupon that only worked with the MacLarens, so while it looks like there's a huge price difference, at the time we bought it there was only about a $50 difference between the two). But, I don't get to go back and make that choice again, so this is the stroller we have, for better or worse, and I'm ok with that. Just don't ask me to fold it.

UPDATE: Another few months on, it's still annoying to fold, but slightly less so. And, my daughter took a 2 hour nap in it one day! I got to walk around a museum and eat an entire meal at a nice restaurant while she slept soundly beside me. I'm feeling slightly more positive about the stroller in general.

Want UPPAbaby 2013 G-Luxe Stroller Discount?

I have the UPPAbaby G-Luxe from 2011 I live in NYC and walk EVERYWHERE. It is the best stroller. It is light for places I have to fold it up, and when I get home. The recline feature is so useful for us, because my son sleeps in the stroller all the time! And their customer service in all honesty could not be better! They are kind, quick, understanding, and most of all they want to help! The only complaint that I have heard which I can agree with is the breaks stick out so that you can't pull it up stairs. It is so light that I just carry it, so it has been fine for me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment