E-Ware Dual-Layer Multi-Purpose Large Food Steamer (EW-5K118)

E-Ware Dual-Layer Multi-Purpose Large Food SteamerI have 7 months old Twins. Recently, I've decided to cook for them. I'm so happy that I bought E-ware 5k118 BPA Free Baby Food Steamer. It's a great steamer!!! Fast, easy, and healthy ( BPA Free!!!!). I would recommend this product.

After have been using the steamer for 7 months, I throw it away because it's developing rust from the knob area. That rust can drip into baby food. Be aware!!!

Now I rate it 2 stars.

BPA was the selling point for me and plus 3L really good. After owning this a couple of months now about 4 in all. The handle on the top glass had broken off due to the steam build-up of heat in it. Odd but it just broken off. That's the only weakness about it. I had removed the black knob and replace it with a metal one and I was back in business. The unit has head rod in the bottom and you don't want that anything less than Teflon otherwise it going to be hard to clean. I just drop some 1/4 of cup of white vinegar into it and set it to 15 minutes to get off the scale deposits build-ups. I really enjoy using this unit. Very easy to clean in my dishwasher. All 4 parts except the base can go into the dishwasher. The unit can steam 1 cup of rice in 30 mins. You can replace your microwave and keep you your dinner in 10-15 mins. Steam heat is far batter than dried out dinners in the microwave.

I steam all my organic veggies raw or frozen. Same with Salmon frozen takes about 45 mins to defrost and cook. Place the fish on the bottom and the rest on top. It does come with large rice bowl. You can add frozen jumbo shrimps and frozen veggies into the rice blow with the raw grain rice. It all comes out great in the end and that takes about 30 mins. I even throw in those Thai noodles. Hard baking potatoes can cook in 30 minutes.

Basically to use this unit just add cold water tot he base and up to the level. Water last a very long time though.

Timer is analog but 0 5 15 20 25 30 40 45 50 55 60 minutes.

If you want to steam more get this item do beware of the cover knob can break off after many usages.

Update 4.25.12

I use this steamer pretty much every day, but now it's developing rust from the knob area. I see that someone else has reported this issue. That rust can drip into your food and you don't want that. the Screw and washer is metal. That's the issue. You would have to wipe them down both. Mine is starting to leak also in the water base. So the only parts that have no issues are the two BPA free plastic container. I'll miss using this one. It's suppose to be under warranty, I'll try go after them about it. In the meantime I have gone with the Westinghouse Tritec CVS Oven that has Steam Oven Feature you add water or you can add wine to water for your cooking with wet or dry steam. It has a conventional fan. Process seems simple enough that it should get here today from Amazon. I don't like using a Microwave since food doesn't come out moist more like dry or tough. With the e-ware BPA food steamer was great to rewarm cooked food. Cook all different rice types along with frozen salmon and more..

e-ware web site reports this unit has 2 years warranty, but the price I had paid for it, not worth me to pack it-up and send it back with insurance on it. The same one going to do the same thing.

Update 11.2.12

I am still using this product for steaming still does the job. I have now switched from white vinegar to citric acid to descale the base. I was also thinking about replacing the unit with another one since I know what to expect from it. The dual containers will fit into your sink if you have dual sink. They can be use for cleaning veggies and etc. also like a strainer would be use. I giving this one 3 stars it should get 4 but what you pay for you get something you really don't see from the other makers. Westinghouse Tritec CVS Oven does the same instead of the 3L you get 22L. But this one here E-Ware heats up 75% faster than Westinghouse Tritec. If you need dry wet steam you would use the Tritec it gives you two options for steaming. The E-Ware is just wet steam but powerful. Also the main base container for use in steamer does change color. As you can see it looks cloudy white that can change to dull off white color.

Buy E-Ware Dual-Layer Multi-Purpose Large Food Steamer (EW-5K118) Now

I make my daughter's baby food and this steamer works PERFECTLY. It wasn't easy finding any other steamer that is BPA free, this one states it clearly on the box as well, apparently other sellers have advertised BPA free steamers, when in fact, they are not. I have found that butternut squash and some other gourds have stained the plastic a tiny bit. Also, washing by hand with a dish brush gets the baskets cleaner than the dishwasher, they clean up easily. The steamer nub in the bottom also got that filmy white water scale after my second use, it might depend on the type of water you have but I read that using lemon water should loosen that right up, I have yet to try it myself and just scrub it down after every use. From what I understand, the water scale happens in all steamers, so other than that it couldn't be better. It was a great price and has made making my baby's food a breeze. I chose this over an all in one baby food maker because I can do so much more food at one time. It is also more cost efficient, I puree using a Cuisinart Smart Stick that was under $30. Clean up is sooo easy, and these products have actually made making her food fun. An added tip for others making baby food; use silicone molds to freeze your food in (I love Fat Daddio's silicone, they have fun shapes and a variety of sizes) then transfer them to freezer bags. Hope this helps!

Read Best Reviews of E-Ware Dual-Layer Multi-Purpose Large Food Steamer (EW-5K118) Here

The steamer worked fine for what it is, but the screw and the washer that fastens the handle to the lid started rusting after a couple months use. You'd have to be rather diligent in keeping the lid dry to keep the rust from occurring.

The construction of this particular steamer is rather crude without a whole lot of engineering. Basically, the heating element sits in a pool of water, connected to a timer. Of course, steamers don't have to be complicated to work well, and this steamer did the job for me more or less.

Still, the ways the manufacturer went about in cutting the corners in building the product do leave a lot to be desired. When I first received the steamer, I found the finish of the product to be poor with plastic bits from manufacturing still left on the steamer parts. Also, the plastic used on the steamer body are quite thin and has some sharp edges that cut me on a couple of occasions. The biggest problem by far though, the material they chose for the fasteners of the handle to the glass lid. The screws and the washer started rusting after a couple months of use, and it drips rust onto the food while steaming. While rust isn't toxic really, I'd rather find another way to deliver iron into my boy's food supply.

Why the manufacturer decided not to use 18/10 SS for the parts that are in contact with water constantly is beyond me. If the manufacturer can rectify the rust problem, I would give the steamer 4 stars only because I believe this still is the only steamer that has BPA free parts. As is, I can't recommend this product for any purposes unfortunately.

Want E-Ware Dual-Layer Multi-Purpose Large Food Steamer (EW-5K118) Discount?

I was surprised to find teflon-coated (or at least looking and feeling very much like teflon-coated) heating element in BPA-free baby food steamer. BPA-free but with teflon? No thanks.

Back to amazon it goes.

Otherwise, it looks well made and functional, though I have not used it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment